Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, March 20

Salmon Soup

Of late, it has been a renaissance of all food Finnish :D A Finnish friend's mum & aunt are visiting and we all learnt from the experts how to make karjalanpiirakka (Karelian pie - little pastries of rye flour filled with rice porridge). And a couple of days ago, I made a batch of pullaa (essentially cinammon buns but flavoured with cardamon).

Now that DH is off to Finland for 11 days, I suddenly have a craving for
lohikeitto (salmon soup) which I haven't had for more than a year since I left Finland. Thankfully, I've the opportunity to visit a supermarket today that is the only place in Chengdu to stock dill so here we go....

300g salmon, skinless, 2cm cubed
1 large onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 large potatoes, cubed
2 medium carrots, cubed
1 tbsp butter
fish or meat stock
milk or cream
black pepper, freshly ground
salt
large handful of dill, finely chopped

1. Heat up a large pot. Melt butter and saute onions and garlic until onions turn translucent.
2. Add potatoes, carrots & stock. (the amount of stock depends on whether cream or milk is used. I like my soup creamy so the proportion of stock to milk I had is 3:2)
3. Boil until vegetables are cooked through.
4. Add milk or cream.
5. Lower heat and add cubed salmon.
6. Season to taste with black pepper and salt.
7. Simmer for a few minutes to ensure that salmon is cooked. Add dill. Hyvää ruokahalua! Bon appetit!


Traditionally, the soup is eaten with rye bread. I thawed 2 pieces that I'd stashed away in my freezer and dunked them into the soup. hmm!

Some versions of lohikeitto do not add carrots or garlic but add chives or parsley. But this is how I remembered it and besides, you can't run away from the chief ingredients of salmon, potato and dill ;)

minibeanie is 1 year, 7 months, 3 weeks & 1 day old

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

karjalanpiirakka: YUM, yum!!!! I could eat half a dozen of these at a go before feeling sick. :-P

Pullaa is also great, especially when it comes out fresh, piping hot from the oven.

I did not find good lohikeitto during my time in Finland. Most of them were quite diluted; too much water and too little fish taste. I always thought this would be a real big trouble to make.

Ashley said...

Heh, u're talking about Finnish food here - nothing is too complicated to make if u compare it to Asian curries! I was even pleasantly surprised to discover that karjanlanpiirakka is actually quite easy to make! My MIL gave the impression that it takes real skill to get the rye dough really thin but all it needs is lots of flour and a rolling pin...... or a pasta machine ;)

Joy Tan said...

thanks - i'm gonna try this! :) and btw, i love the karelian pie thingies too.. yummy. could you bring some frozen ones back? HAHAHA

Ashley said...

Hahah! nice try, Joy :D let's just say that if we happen to be in the same country where I've my kitchen, I'll make u some karelian pies :)

Oh! have u tried voileipäkakku (sandwich cake) before? I make an ok one as well with ham & eggs.