Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, April 28

The Bestest Healthiest Smoothie ever

I created this milkshake a few years ago when I was in the throes of preparing for my wedding (read: squeezing into That Dress ;) Till now, I still make it as my lunch whenever I need something quick, fuss-free and HEALTHY.

Here's what I normally use:

  • 2-3dl fat-free milk, depending on how thick you want the smoothie to be
  • 1dl instant oats
  • 1 large ripe banana
  • a handful of frozen fruits (e.g. strawberries)
  • 1tbsp ground flaxseed (opt)
  • yoghurt (opt)
* Preferably, all ingredients should be cold
** for the metric-challenged, 1dl (deciliter) = 100ml (milliliter)


Put oats in a glass and add about half the milk. Microwave until oats are cooked. Put all ingredients into a blender and blend. taa-daa! A guilt-free creamy smoothie.

I made this smoothie today with some frozen durian :D ... which I think would have most of my western friends running for cover but it was a wonderful change from strawberries. I shall try to remember to freeze some nectarines or mangoes when they're in season!

Why this is the Bestest Healthiest smoothie ever (no sh**). You get calcium, protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals & omega-3 (from flaxseed) all in 1. Traditional milkshakes have generous amounts of ice cream for its creaminess but here, the creamy texture comes from the oats. Oat is very heart & gut friendly if you don't already know. Basically, oat reduces LDL (bad) cholesterol & has cancer fighting properties. And banana adds a natural sweetness to the smoothie without the need for sugar.

If I recall, I remember seeing a similar recipe from Dr. Oz, Oprah's health guru. I issue a challenge to all oat-fearing skeptics - you won't be able to taste or know there are oats in this smoothie. Kippis!


minibeanie is 1 year, 9 months & 2 days old

No comments: