Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, September 18

milestones

Not unlike the corporate world of target setting, every parent is obsessed with milestones. Is the baby turning over according to what the books say? She should be able to say her first word or she has to take her first step by a certain time. But every child is different. So these well-meaning developmental milestones can in fact be highly stressful for an obsessive parent. As for me, I'll like to think of myself as a laissez faire parent. As long as the kid is growing fine, I'm happy.

A week ago, minibeanie appears to have reached a certain milestone - social smiling :) If you wrinkle your face and stretch your mouth from ear to ear, he tends to respond in a like fashion. Oh yes, it also helps if you talk in a high-pitched voice in highly exaggerated tones so that he's engaged. I've become a clown; that's embarrassing.

A sign that minibeanie's more socially aware, his sleeping hours have also changed from the early newborn days (I can't believe he's no longer a "newborn"!!). He's usually wide awake in the morning, all coo-y and wanting to play. This period of wakefulness lasts until the early afternoon when he will nap for a little while. Unfortunately, mornings for me are rather dreadful because I'd be recovering from the night feeds. So much for engaging play when I can hardly peel my eyes open.
minibeanie is 1 month 3weeks & 2 days old

2 comments:

Joy Tan said...

He's such a sweetie! :) And looks rather playful too! Keat says he looks a little like Markku.
- Joy

Ashley said...

Heheh, thanks Joy! it's true... I saw pictures of Markku when he was a 1 y.o -minibeanie looks exactly like him! Ok, except for the eyes ;)