Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sunday, June 1

A green-less salad

I had a couple of not-so-new potatoes that I wanted to use up so I thought I'd make a simple salad for dinner. In my fridge was a bunch of chives bought yesterday that would be 'Stir-fry Chives with Pork' one day next week. There was also a batch of natural yoghurt that I'd made last night destined for Chicken Briyani tomorrow. Perfect!

I love the taste of chives - very garlicky and pungent, so it would complement the bland potatoes well. For a twist, I thought I'd add an apple for that extra dimension in flavour. Hey, didn't that make it the Waldorf salad, I wondered. Some research later, I learnt that technically, a Waldorf salad comprised of apple, celery and walnut combined by a mayonnaise dressing. More trivial on the Waldorf salad. It was supposedly created in 1893 in New York's Waldorf Astoria hotel. One can only imagine that it was a salad served to the upper echelons of New York's society. Imagine Edith Wharton's Age of Innocence.

So here's my Waldorf-Potato Salad.


  • new potatoes, boiled whole, cubed
  • eggs, hard-boiled, cubed
  • chives, julienned
  • apple, cubed
  • pine nuts, lightly roasted
  • ground black pepper

Dressing:
  • natural yoghurt
  • olive oil
  • salt

Place all salad ingredients except pine nuts into a large bowl. Make the dressing by stirring in the olive oil well. Add salt to taste. Pour the dressing into the salad and toss well. Sprinkle on pine nuts and freshly ground black pepper before serving. Enjoy with generous slices of bread with camembert.

Tips: mayo may be used in place of yoghurt but the latter can be a healthier choice / if chives are not available, perhaps spring onion? / substitute pine nuts for walnut in the true spirit of Waldorf / I may substitute apple with moist chopped figs in a later version


minibeanie is 1o months & 6 days old

No comments: