Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Saturday, July 19

Online shopping

Following my earlier post on shopping at Partypro.com, my current obsession is with a Chinese ebay-like site, TaoBao.com (淘宝网) My obsession has to do with the following:

  • Being able to shop in peace when all's asleep
  • Have the entire market at my fingertips without moving my arse from the sofa/chair
  • Trawl the entire Chinese market from Shanghai and Guangzhou to Zhejiang at the same time
  • Compare prices from multiple vendors at the same time
  • TaoBao sells everything one can think of; from Manolo Blahnik, fake Louis Vuittons to babies' formula milk

TaoBao is the perfect example of the economic model 'perfect competition'. Many buyers and sellers, (almost) perfect information (if you discount for information overload), transparent prices. I love it! :P It took awhile in setting up the paying process because I'd to get Internet banking, understand how the payment system works with my limited Chinese, overcome system glitches because the da*n thing works only with Windows and IE (& of course, most systems in our house run on Mac) blah, blah, blah. Finally though, after much mucking about, I made my first transaction 2 days ago. And since then, there's no stopping me. So far, I'd gotten 4 pieces of clothing for minibeanie, 2 sets of 3 baskets and another 2 baskets. That's a lot of baskets - I guess I'm a basket-case. See what I bought in the picture above. Heheh, I can't wait to see what the delivery man brings next week :)

No comments: