Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, December 24

Kitchen challenges

How exasperating. Salmon is totally out of stock at the supermarket so I ended up with frozen salmon from Ikea Which came pre-cut into portions And de-skinned.... so totally unsuitable for making Gravad Lax. So I've learnt my lesson. Buy a whole fillet next year and freeze it ahead. That's the problem with stuff in Chengdu/China. You NEVER know when certain items will be out of stock. A French import manager at Carrefour told me that he won't know when milk for instance is coming in because that's the way logistics go over here :# A common saying among the expats here is, if you see something you like in the supermarket, grab it. Because you don't know when you'll next see it again!

The turkey was great. It came delivered
on the day and in the condition I wanted. This butchery is run by a foreign couple but just to be sure (since this is China) I asked if it was gutted and beheaded :D It's no laughing matter. Many times I'd bought whole chickens from supermarkets and they always still had their heads and worse, their entire system of internal organs intact. It's like these chickens were meant for a biology dissecting class rather than for the oven. I digress. So, our Christmas turkey is "cleaned of its guts and head etc. It is prepared to Western standards" end quote ;)


minibeanie is 1 year, 4 months & 4 weeks old

No comments: