Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, May 1

A weekend tradition

I believe it's important to have family traditions. Reunion dinners for Chinese New Year, turkey & gingerbread cookies for Christmas, we all have them. But besides festivals, I realized we've unwittingly created one around the weekend. Pancakes for breakfast! It's the only time all of us get to sit down together for breakfast without the company transport to catch or (in time to come) the school bus to dash for.

So when mummy isn't too tired to get up in the wee hours of the morning with the boys, we sit down for pancakes. (So far, it had been quite a regular affair ;) I experimented with several recipes. I mixed my own with the standard ingredients of milk, egg & flour adjusting for flow consistency, found a crepe recipe and even used a bottle of pancake mix that I lugged back from Australia.

While the D-I-M pancakes were ok, I hadn't nailed the right proportion of liquids to dry ingredients. On the other hand, I felt that the crepes would be better suited for crepes suzette or as french crepes with ham & cheese. (I did make caramelized bananas as filling 1 weekend but sticking to plain ol' jam & honey would feed 3 hungry mouths sooner :D ) Ironically, the most enthusiastic response came from the pancake mix. Since I regard ready mixes not without a certain amount of disdain preferring the old fashion route, I just had to search for a substitute.


I found it in allrecipes.com. More than 2000 reviews that gathered 4.5 out of 5 stars couldn't be too off the mark, I thought. They were right. The recipe gave the best pancakes we'd had for a long time. I agreed with most of the reviewers - do not change a single thing about the recipe, it's perfect as it is. Some who thinned the batter either didn't know that the thick consistency would give it the light-as-air fluffiness or preferred their pancakes thin a la crepes. The only thing I added was 2tbsp of ground flaxseed that upped the nutrients but took away none of the fluff.

This pancake recipe would be a part of our weekend tradition.


minibeanie is 1 year, 9 months & 5 days old

3 comments:

Whui Mei said...

Don't forget to eat the pancakes with the Canadian pure maple syrup, blueberries & raspberries! Last Sept, I was on holiday in British Columbia and Washington state (US), and just could not stop eating pancakes soaked in pure maple syrup & blueberries & raspberries. :)

Ashley said...

oooh, I wish I've some pure maple syrup! It's rather exp on the shelves here - Eur8/bottle! I must remember to bring the recipe to Finland if I go in summer, at least I can get fresh blueberries and raspberries there!

WhĂși Mei said...

Since you are making so *many* trips to SG, I'm sure you can get your hands on a good bottle of Canadian maple syrup without going bankrupt. :P It does cost an arm and a leg over here in Sweden, and it's a really small bottle.