Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, December 24

Baby wearing

A running joke is that a parent learns how to do everything with 1 hand. Making phone calls (the conference call function is real handy!), typing emails, making toast... it's a wonder how 1 hand can balance the baby on the lap/hip, keep his curious flailing hands from mortally endangering himself while the other hand completes the task set out to do. And so, even as I perfect the art of filling my Bialetti moka pot with coffee with 1 hand, I decided a baby carrier is called for.

A sarong sling doesn't work for me since it's such a struggle positioning the baby in the sling. I mean, I can never get it comfortable on myself - too loose and the baby is about to fall out, too tight and he looks
cramped, too low and it's almost as if the sling is at my knee... Too many 'too's.

And so I was back on the lookout for something that is idiot-proof, safe and doesn't break my back. I narrowed it down to 2 choices - BabyBjörn Synergy & Ergo Baby Carrier.

BabyBjörn Synergy
  • + good back support
  • + use of mesh materials is good for warmer climate
  • + baby can face front or towards you in front
  • - no hip support
  • - carries only up till 12kg
  • - does not carry baby on your back

Ergo

  • + good back support
  • + good hip support
  • + carries kid up till 5 years old (on the back of course!)
  • + baby may be carried from the front (in-facing), back or hip
  • + 1" thick shoulder pads for comfort
  • - may be hot in warmer climate
  • - does not allow baby to face forward while on your front
I've read rave reviews about the Ergo so we went to a store yesterday that stocked the Ergo carrier to test it out. DH was sold instantly. It was the hip support - carrying 40kg of mines and bazookas on your back does make one look at hip supports slightly differently ;) For me, the proof is in the pudding. minibeanie fell asleep in the Ergo as I was trying it out in the store!


minibeanie is 4 months, 3 weeks & 6 days old

ps. the shortest day of the year is over! From now on, hello to more sunshine!

1 comment:

Joy Tan said...

The Ergo rocks! Esther received one as a birthday present and it's indispensable. I even use it to carry Ethan sometimes (when it's raining heavily and we're outdoors) :)

Happy holidays and have a great 2008! How's M@work?