Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, April 28

Soy mad!

Lately, I got into a soy milk craze. Living in China is like being in soy milk or tofu heaven. Fresh tofu by the weight in supermarkets, all manners of marinated tofu pieces/strips and soy milk aplenty. But getting fresh soy milk involves a trip to the supermarket which is logistically challenging with a baby to say the least. Hence, when our Philips blender arrived, I decided to make my own soy milk at home!

It was a ridiculously simple process. Soak the beans for at least 4 hours, put them into the blender with water, grind, sieve & boil. Voila.

I was however feeling that it was a waste to throw all the ground soy beans away. After all, it was still full of protein and vitamins. Then a thought crossed my mind. Soy patties!! I experimented with a small batch & finally made a larger batch for dinner tonight. Here's the recipe :)

Ashley's Guilt-free Soy Patties
  • ground soy beans, drained
  • coriander, minced
  • garlic, minced
  • green chili, minced
  • red pepper, cubed
  • eggs
  • olive oil
  • instant oatmeal
  • black pepper
  • salt

Mix all ingredients together. Keep adding oatmeal until the batter's consistency is stiff and similar to that of beef burgers. It should be able to retain its shape on the tray without any liquid oozing out.

Heat oven to 180C. Line a baking pan with baking paper and grease. Put 3-4 tablespoons of batter onto the pan and bake for at least 45min until golden brown. Towards the end, turn the patties over and bake for an additional 15-20min.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ashley,

I tried making soy patties last night, inspired by your post & also had a bag of soya beans sitting in the fridge for a year already. Did not use all the ingredients you mentioned but I still like the end result! :) To some extent, the texture feels like fishcake, the Swedish/Danish/Norwegian type, not the type found in SG. Thanks for posting such a great idea (& for not wasting good food)!

Ashley said...

Hi Whui Mei, glad to hear that u liked it :) I'd like to try the variations below if I can get hold of the ingredients, that is.

- Thai (sweet basil, coconut milk instead of eggs)
- Indian (cumin, coriander, onion, chili)
- curry powder, onion

I think we're only limited by our imagination! Let me know what u come up with...