Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, August 11

C is for Cup... not for now

After 5 days of the "offer cup, push away with pudgy hand" dance, I decided I'd give it a rest and take up the bottle weaning challenge a few weeks later. Did I start too late? After all, babies are creatures of habit, at least where minibeanie is concerned. And the more entrenched a habit/thingy is in a baby's life, the more resistance he's going to put up to change.

Well, at least I got him to accept cow's milk without much ado. In fact, he is totally impartial to it. In fact, some days when I didn't have formula milk ready, I'd just pour milk from our carton. So, that's a relief :)

Speaking of which,
weaning the tutti (Finnish for pacifier) isn't something I'm looking forward to at all. Currently, he needs it to fall asleep and I'm not ready to go without sleep for a week :P Hence, the current strategy is to wait until he's 2 or 3 or at least until he knows baby pandas. The game plan is to bring him to the zoo/panda breeding center and say, "look, the baby panda needs your tutti & we will give your tutti to the panda, ok?..." Then a few days later, he'll receive a thank-you card from the baby panda ;) So there.

2 comments:

Pink Lavender 10 said...

Take it easy, sister. KK is still on the bottle at 6! Well, now I restrict him to just one before he sleeps. He drinks perfectly fine with a cup, it's just a comfort thing. XX too, he can drink from a cup just as well as a bottle. I'm fine with it, as long as they drink their milk. KK is slightly shy about doing it now outside, cos he knows he's a big boy. But at home, who cares.

Ashley said...

I care for several reasons. Pediatricians encourage bottle weaning by 1 year and definitely no later by 18 months.

#1, old habits die hard. It's easier with a smaller baby than an older toddler.

#2, bottle feeding encourages tooth decay.

#3, bottle feeding tends to fill up tummies leading to fussy eaters.

Those are just a few of the reasons given in "What to Expect the first year". Personally, I agree with #1 & 3. (It's said that toddlers need only about 680ml of milk daily.) Finally, I want to do away with washing bottles!