Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 19

A matter of taste

While minibeanie can't be persuaded to try drinking from a cup, he has been very receptive of new foods :) Thank God!

His first birthday had been like an invisible line for me. Now he's technically able to eat everything we eat. Foods which had been advised against for allergy reasons are now off the list - egg whites, tomatoes, honey (still holding off on this one..) etc. Thus, these are what I'd been cooking up for minibeanie. So far, he'd loved all of them!

  • noodles in pork broth with meatballs, pumpkin & cauliflower
  • alphabet pasta with meatballs & pumpkin in a tomato sauce
  • chicken breast in pork broth with peas, pumpkin, potato, onion & garlic
  • Aloo Gobi, an Indian vegetarian dish of cauliflower & potato

Aloo Gobi had been an afterthought when I was making Chicken Briyani with Aloo Gobi as a side dish. Then I thought there was nothing in there that he couldn't have so I cooked it sans sel, then reserved a portion of it to be frozen in little cubes. I can't believe it still, this little guy is trying real Indian cuisine with the full works - cumin, mustard seeds, tumeric, garam masala (itself a blend of cinnamon, cumin, cardamom, nutmeg) & chili.


My goal is to introduce a diet as wide ranging in taste as possible without comprising on nutrition. While he may choose to prefer burgers & crispy chicken in future (I draw the line at fastfood though), he will have a palate that's not restricted to the blandness of typical baby porridge.

I think I'll make some maple syrup cookies for minibeanie now.... [in Cookie Monster's voice] I knows it, u knows it, DH will eat most cookies.


minibeanie is 1 year, 3 weeks & 3 days old

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm....Pork broth and pumpkin look like the new staples. They seem to be mummy's favourites!

M

Ashley said...

Well...because pork is the national meat of China. All cuts down to tongue & ears & best of all, really tasty & cheap. And pumpkin is because I'd loads of extra pumpkin stashed in the freezer. They have to go somewhere right? ;)