Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, May 16

The day the earth moved

Where do I even begin?

On Monday, May 12, at about 1440, I had put down minibeanie's half empty bowl resigned to the fact that that was all he would be eating. And that was all I remembered because the next thing that I remembered were the walls of my 2 storey apartment swaying accompanied by a terrible rumbling sound. I was rooted to the floor in shock. It felt surreal. I actually remembered thinking, "this can't be happening, it's almost cool... no wait, this is terrible."

When something you assume as immovable as a room starts to move, the very foundation of your being is shaken. It was a terrifying sight to see the 8m wall behind me move left and right. In my paralysis, I actually analyzed that it was either an earthquake or a badly built 30 storey building; if it was the latter, I would be so screwed.

A few terrifying seconds passed before I could rouse myself to do anything. My AYi clamoured down the stairs with fear written all over her face and asked what should we do. I had no idea. She didn't even know if Chengdu was in an earthquake zone. Fearing that the ceiling or walls would collapse, I unbuckled minibeanie out of his rocker pronto and dived under the dining table. In my fear, I actually recalled watching a documentary of Japanese school children being told to head under their tables when earthquakes struck.

My AYi had the opposite reaction. She wanted to see what the neighbours were doing so she headed for the door. Things were falling around us. Our water dispenser with nearly 15 liters of water toppled as did the Chinese screens on the 2nd storey study. But I was rooted under the table and prayed, "God, please let the tremors stop." Never had I prayed so fervently.

After what seemed like a very long time, the swaying and tremors did stop and so did the awful rumbling & crashing. It was then I got out from my refuge and headed for the lift landing with my AYi but not before having the presence of mind to grab my baby carrier and keys. The lifts were not working - not that I'd have contemplated taking them anyway. There were scores of people in the stairwell. Everyone was relatively calm. When we finally got out of the building, relief gave way to thankfulness and the realization of what had actually happened. Most of us were visibly shaking like a leaf and I was in my nightie.

I united with a Finnish friend & her 2 boys - they had ran down from the 19th floor without their shoes and the boys only had their t-shirts and underwear on. We waited in the street for close to 5 hours then decided that we would seek refuge with a Finnish family. When we were finally let into our condo at 7pm, I ran up the stairs to get a couple of essentials.

It was eerily quiet in the compound. No children running, no one coming home from work, no baby strollers around. I think I took 10 minutes to pack and I felt every minute. Every sound was magnified and all senses were on high alert. Just as I closed my kitchen door to the wash area, there was a low rumble, my kitchen began shaking and I heard the glassware clattering. Great, I'd brought down my apartment with the kitchen door.

I later heard it was a 5.2 aftershock. The first quake measured 8 on the richter scale, nearly 1000 times bigger than the aftershock.

Click on image to get a bigger picture

Geology, Engineering contribute to Quake Damage

minibeanie is 9 months, 2 weeks & 6 days old

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ashley,

so glad that the baby & you are fine! I was really wondering if you were OK since I saw in the Chinese news (from a mainland Chinese colleague's PC) that Chengdu was badly affected. Then again, she had heard from her other friends that Beijing suffered an earthquake and she was naturally worried about her eldest boy who is there by himself.

But good thinking on your part to dive under table though it may not have helped if the entire building came down. Still, you would have avoided being injured by falling objects.

Are you back in the apartment now? Is there a lot to clean up?

Anonymous said...

yay- it's great to see you online! we were praying for you guys :)

Unknown said...

Glad to hear hear from you. Hope that everything will be fine soon. God bless and take care.

Stella and Ko Ko and also lilian sends her love

Ashley said...

WhuiMei, Sky, Stella, KoKo and Lilian,

Thanks for your concern! :) it was a harrowing experience, one that I hope I'll never have to experience again.

Thank God the apartment wasn't that messy... just cleaning away some plaster that have fallen off the wall, putting the fallen Chinese screen aside etc. The landlord will be coming in next week prob to patch up the walls and cracks.

It's the aftershocks that are unnerving. Listened to a shrink on Saturday provided by NSN on dealing with shock trauma - no couch yet ;)

Keep praying for the victims and survivors.