Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, March 21

Big Brother

Nearly 3 weeks on and our airfreight cargo hasn't arrived. In fact, it hasn't even left Finland! The reason being we have yet to receive our Chinese resident permits which means that the necessary paperwork (and there are lots of it) to get the cargo moving is in limbo.

To a large degree however, we have learnt to cope without minibeanie's crib, clothes and kitchenware. Hmm... perhaps not my kitchenware, I'm beginning to miss it sorely. Without my bakeware, I can't roast a chicken & grill some potatoes, tomatoes & so on. After 3 weeks, I'm having WFD (Western Food Deprived) withdrawal symptoms. I remembered a week ago, I mentioned to DH I was dreaming of a crusty chicken pie with tender chunks of chicken & soft cubes of potato & carrot. The next day, I received an announcement from the CIWC (Chengdu International Women's Club) that there will be a St. Patrick's celebration at Shangri-La's Irish pub, Mooney's. The menu of Chicken Pot Pie, Fish & Chips and Bread & Butter Pudding were like music to my ears! We didn't make it to the St. Patrick's outing but tonight, I'll be dragging the troop down to Mooney's - not for a pint of Guinness but good ol' fashion pub grub! :D

Food aside, it is also difficult to get anything that's not a Chinese brand. Familiar brands like AEG & Electrolux can't be found in the shops. And if you are lucky, you will be able to find 1 or 2 pieces of Philips. I find this strange given that almost everything has "made-in-China" stamped on these days. Anything imported is hugely expensive. Germany's WMF cutlery & crockery, Italy's Bialetti moka pots... forget them all. They are so much cheaper in Singapore. It just can't be that the local populace doesn't want to buy or can't afford foreign brands. Alright, with the exception of Bialetti & the likes, electronics of many foreign brands are made in China which should mean that they ought to be cheaper in China given lower transportation costs. It appears that
China is pursuing a protectionistic policy.

And by the way, it is proving impossible to find baby monitors in China. Nada. A few days ago, DH found a website of a Chinese B2B firm manufacturing baby monitors, unfortunately, a call to the company confirmed that they are not sold in the local market. I suspect the use of radio technology by private citizens is another no-no of the Communist government since walkie-talkies like baby monitors are not found either. Good grief.

The lack of choice is frustrating.

No comments: