Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, March 6

Home in Chengdu

We got the ADSL connection today yippee! Finally, we are in Chengdu (成都 <-- and I also finally learnt how to write in Chinese on my Mac ;) Things have been terribly stressful lately but I think I can say with some certainty that the worst is over. We got to Chengdu on Saturday evening with 12 pieces of checked-in luggage weighing a little more than 100kg. The group of 6-8 customs guys eyed us suspiciously as we were wheeling the trolleys out.
"What's in them?"
"Clothes." (in a tired & innocent voice not without a touch of irritation)
"Clothes...?"
"Yes, we're moving here."

And with that, I
with minibeanie strapped in the babycarrier in front of me, just pushed my overflowing trolley past the customs guards still trying to make sense of what to do. Needless to say, DH was relieved for his hordes of electronics for which he would have to pay duties otherwise.

We got to the apartment and finally put minibeanie to bed. By then, it was 11pm & the last meal we had was hours ago. DH was sent on a food-hunting mission and it was funny what the modern-day hunter came back with. He returned with 6 pieces of KFC's crispy chicken & 2 cups of Pepsi. That night, we sat on the floor by the foot of the bed*, eating with our fingers on an overturned cardboard box. Fried chicken never tasted so good! :P And we loved the numbingly hot Sichuan pepper huajiao (花椒)powder that came with it. Welcome to Chengdu!

The next 2 days were spent at Carrefour stocking up on the essentials - 2 bowls, shower cream, wok, condiments, water, rice, bottle brush (every time we travel, we leave it behind!), detergent & oh yes, toilet paper. Now that the dust has settled a little, we are breathing a little easier :) There are teething pains with the new apartment, wardrobe shelves missing, clogged bathroom etc but I think we'll get them fixed eventually. For now, I can at least make mapo doufu (麻婆豆腐 - which I have!) & settle into a routine with the family :)

* we were afraid minibeanie would wake up & we wouldn't hear him from downstairs


ps. wikipedia doesn't work here! And for some strange reason, I couldn't view my blog!


minibeanie is 7 months, 1 week & 1 day old

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heheh, welcome to the Great (Fire)Wall of China, Ashley! :-)

Ashley said...

U're absolutely right. All Blogspot sites are blocked down to a couple of the popular free proxy servers. I managed to access this via a proxy server - but I'm not telling which!! ;)