Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 24

Baby's First Taste

Apparently, a baby does taste the foods that her mum eats in utero, twice in fact. The first time through the umbilical cord and the second time, through the amniotic fluid when she discharges her waste. (Alright, don't think too much about this ;) moving on...

Here's an interesting anecdote. We've a friend whose baby proved that she actually got accustomed to the things that her mother ate when she was pregnant. During pregnancy, the mum (Finnish parents) had cravings for reeeeaally spicy foods so her husband who had lived in Thailand for 6 months and who out-ate Thais in a chilli eating contest (that's another story) made Thai Green curries that would make any Thai sweat behind his knees. The effect of this became apparent 2 years later. When Liinu, the little girl, refused to eat the bland mash potatoes and meatballs in her daycare, her dad advised the frustrated daycare provider to put some Tabasco sauce in her mash. Bewildered, the poor lady gave the tip a try and Liinu promptly lapped up everything :)

This morning, right after my early morning visit to the little girls' room, a daily routine now, all hopes of returning to sleep vanished when I'd a vision of Lor Mai Fun (glutinous rice). I laid in bed for awhile hoping for sleep to overcome me but soon decided that resistance to any cravings is futile. So by the time DH puts his alarm clock to snooze for the 3rd time, I was already prepping for my lunch by laying out the dried shrimps, mushrooms, glutinous rice and garlic. I was even prepared to go the extra mile, literally, by walking in a 15c light drizzle to the supermarket for a bunch of spring onions. imagine...

I think minibeanie liked the Lor Mai Fun as much as I did :D Next, I'm going to let him/her taste durian. There's a bag of frozen durians at the back of my freezer. Yumm!

M, almost tired of saying "any day now"
39 weeks 3 days

No comments: